Video games are interesting and fun to play. But, the opposite is true when it comes to developing them. This is because video game development can be pretty challenging without the right tools.
Video game development requires you to be knowledgeable in the use of programming languages. Sadly, this has limited a lot of people with no coding experience from developing video games. But, with the help of video games software, you can develop video games without any coding experience. This is because video game software has a simple and easy-to-use interface. It eliminates the use of programming and makes game development easier and less intimidating.
This article will review some great software you can use to develop your next video game.
What Are Video Games Software?
Video game software programs are apps. They provide game developers with the necessary tools to develop efficient and functional video games.
It can also be referred to as a program that encompasses all the core areas of the game development process. Some of these core areas of game development include rendering graphics, artificial intelligence, memory management, collision detection, and more. With video games software, you can add features like lightning, effects, game logic, animation, and characters to your video game.
Video game software varies in complexity. These variations are based on who the game software is developed for. While there is game software for beginners, there are also some for intermediate and expert developers.
This article will focus on video game software that a beginner can use with little or no coding experience.
Stencyl over simplifies game development for a total newbie. It has a drag-and-drop interface. This makes the software quite easy to use for developers with no programming skills.
Also, Stencyl allows developers with vast programming language experience to use their own code to develop video games of their choice.
Stencyl also has an Action Editor. This allows you to create characters and tweak their behaviors and appearances. Stencyl even allows you to design scenes using its Scene Designer.
Its interface was inspired by the MIT Scratch Project.
Features of Stencyl include:
- Super simple UI
- Drag-and-drop feature
- Beginners friendly
- Free Flash games development
- Ready to use game templates
- Supports multiple platforms
- Free resources from StencylForge
- It is easy to learn.
- It requires no coding experience to use.
- It aids quick game development.
- It has a limited game templates
- It has limited features and functionalities
- It doesn’t process command in order and the manner you specify
Stencylʼs free trial package allows you to develop and publish Flash games on the web.
But, the paid package allows you to publish games on various platforms. These include web, Google Play, Mac, iOS, Windows, and many others. It cost $199 per year.
GameSalad is another video game software that beginner game developers should try out. It has a visual drag-and-drop interface. It eliminates using programming languages to develop video games.
GameSalad can be used to develop video games for iPhone, Android, and the web. It also has a vast behavior library that allows you to explore different options.
The software also has a testing tool called an “In-App Previewer.” This allows you to test game logic and behavior sets. GameSalad has a “Featured Games” section that will enable you to draw inspiration from at least 60 games developed with the tool. You can also submit your own developed game to the “Featured Games” section.
- Drag-and-drop features
- It supports multiple platforms like Android, iOS, and Windows.
- Supports Amazon GameCircle
- Effective technical support
- It doesn’t require any foreknowledge of programming language.
- It is easy to use.
- Its free version is packed with lots of features.
- It supports different marketplaces like Amazon, Google Play, Apple iTunes store, and so on.
- It provides tutorials that will teach you how to use the game software.
- It has limited customization options.
- It is hard to navigate.
The game software has a trial version that runs for a limited time. But, to get the best out of the software, you will need to consider its premium plans. The GameSalad basic version priced at $17/per month gives you the chance to use all the tool’s features. The GameSaladʼs pro version priced at $25/per month gives you the liberty to publish games on all platforms.
There is a 50% discount for educators, students, and the US military.
GameMaker is another beginner-friendly video game software. It allows newbies to develop games of their choice. It has a drag-and-drop interface that simplifies the process of software development too.
The app is developed by YoYo Games Ltd. It caters to beginners and expert developers and allows them to build 2D games without hassle. It also allows them to export animations, effects, and characters.
- Exclusive and easy to understand programming language.
- Supports cross-platform.
- Drag-and-drop feature.
- Comprehensive toolset.
- Supports external the use of external tools.
- Real-time animation editing.
- It has an easy to use interface.
- It has an exclusive programming language. GameMaker Language that is simple to understand compared to other programming languages.
- It supports different platforms.
- It is easy to troubleshoot.
- It is slow compared to other game development software
- It does not have an explicit error indicator. While it can detect errors, it does not pinpoint to where the source of the error.
- The free version will leave watermark in your game.
- It cannot be used to develop 3D games.
- It has an exclusive programming language called GameMaker Language (GML). To use this software, you will need to learn this code.
- You will need to pay extra to export to popular platforms like Android, iOS, and HTML5.
It has a free plan which has limited options. GameMaker also has two paid plans. The first plan is the Studio version which starts at $150. The second plan is the Super Studio Session which is priced at $800.
4. RPG Maker
RPG Maker is used to develop Role-Playing Games. There are a lot of RPG Makers. But, the latest form of RPG Maker, which is RPG Maker VX Ace is packed with different tools that make RPG game development quite easy.
RPG Maker VX Ace also has stock music and character images that you can incorporate into your game. RPG Maker VX Ace allows you to try your hand on game development without having any coding skills.
- Strong and functional developers community.
- Easy to use interface.
- It allows you to import graphics from other third-party apps.
- It is easy to learn and use.
- It does not require any coding experience.
- It only runs on Windows.
- It is difficult to create cross-platform game apps with it.
- It is ideal for playing one genre of games within specific parameters.
RPG Maker VX has a free trial with limited features. Its premium version costs $69.99.
FlowLab is another video game software that simplifies game development for newbies. The app can be used to develop Flash games and iOS games.
FlowLab has the necessary toolset that makes game development quite easy and simple. It uses a drag-and-drop that makes video game development accessible to an amateur developer with no coding skills.
The software allows you to test and connect behaviors to create sophisticated game logic. It can also be used to create characters and animation with its built-in animation and drawing tools.
- In-built animation
- It has a free version that allows you to test out the software’s features for free
- It is simple and easy to use
- It allows developers to share their work when done
- It allows developers to collaborate
- Its free version restricts you to develop only 3 games.
- It is only available on web only.
FlowLab has a free version that only allows you to develop 3 game apps. It has three premium versions namely the Indie ($10/per month), Education (24$/per month), and Studio version ($32/per month).
This is another game development app that allows new developers to develop games with ease. Sploder like FlowLab only allows you to develop web games. Sploder has a variety of toolsets that allow you to develop almost any games in any genre. Each genre comes with a unique toolset.
Sploder also has a graphics editor that allows developers to create pixelated characters. Unlike other game development apps, Sploder does not support exporting to other native platforms like iOS, and Android. Instead, games developed are exclusively web-based games.
- Easy to learn and use
- Varieties of toolsets
- In-built graphics editor
- It makes game development easier for beginners
- It is easy to use and learn
- It only supports web-based games.
- It does not give room for monetization.
It is free.
7. Construct 2
Construct is an HTML5 drag-and-drop game development software. It allows you to build 2D games with ease. This tool gives beginner developers the opportunity to develop the game of their dreams. Especially without necessarily using programming codes.
Also, it lets you view your game without having to compile it. Construct 2 has an interface that makes game development easy and less intimidating for newbies. You can add behaviors or effects to your game with ease. The tool has a list of actions and triggers you çan choose from. It also has spectacular visual effects like particle system, blend modes, and pixel-shader.
- In-built pathfinder.
- Dead-simple interface
- Supports HTML 5
- Drag-and-drop feature
- The web version performs well on all browsers.
- You can preview your game instantly.
- It supports the use of camera, speech recognition, and microphone.
- Its free version is limited.
- Tutorials are outdated and unhelpful.
- It cannot export natively to other platforms like Linux, Android, Mac, and Windows.
- The software runs on Windows platform only
It has a free version which gives you access to limited features. But, to enjoy the software without restrictions, you will need to opt-in for a premium plan.
Construct2 premium plan is a one time-payment of £139.99 for a personal license. Business license are priced at £359.99.
Quest is a simple open-source game development app licensed under the MIT license. It is a super basic program that allows you to create interactive story games. It is indeed one way to improve your in-game narrative.
Quest shifts the focus from game design or writing codes to storytelling. This is a key element in any game, most especially an adventure game.
Quest can run on a web browser or a Windows computer. It is a text-based software.
- It supports major languages like English, Portuguese, French, Esperanto, and Italian
- It allows you to create your own language translation
- Graphical and sound effects
- It is super easy to use
- It is free
- It polishes your storytelling skills.
- It cannot be used to develop a complex game
- It is only available on Windows
It is free to use.
Twine is a text-based interactive game creator. It allows you to create your own adventure styled story. The software was developed in 2009. With this tool, you can turn your idea into a working game with a simple text-based editor. Twine allows you to publish to HTML. You can choose to generate your own adventure storyline.
The tool requires no coding skills. But, you can write your story in HTML and CSS to further enhance it and tweak visual aspects like fonts, colors and so on.
- Simple interface
- Available on major platforms like Mac OS, Windows, and Linux.
- It is free to use even for commercial projects
- It is easy to understand
- It as an active community.
- It is limited in scope
- It requires coding to create complex storylines
It is free to use.
10. Unreal Engine
Unreal Engine is a game software that can be used to develop high-quality videos games. It rids game development of any complexities that may discourage newbies.
Unreal Engine is packed with toolsets that allow developers to build video games with ease. With the software, developers do not need to worry about learning a programming language before building a video game.
- Supports cross-platform game apps
- Easy to navigate
- Supports high-tech graphics.
- It is easy to learn.
- It does not require the use of programming languages.
- It has features and functionalities that are not present in other game software.
- It runs faster and allows effective and efficient game rendering.
- It allows you to optimize your video game effectively.
- It is ideal for high-tech Triple-A games with a big budget.
- It is not ideal for developing simple games and for executing short-term tasks.
- You will be charged a 5% royalty of your gross revenue after your first $3000 on the game.
- It is limited in scope.
- It is ideal for a group of developers.
Unreal Engine is an open-source game software that is free to use for everyone. But, the software will charge you 5% of your total revenue after you’ve made $3000 off your game.
GameFroot is an open-source game software. It allows you to develop mobile, web, and HTML5 games. It has lots of free graphics and a tile-based interface.
GameFroot is ideal for both amateur and professional developers.
- Supports multiple platforms.
- Support HTML5.
- Encourages team development.
- Free assets.
- It does not require any coding experience.
- It is easy to navigate.
- It supports different marketplaces like the Apple iTunes App Store and Google Chrome Web Store
- It has an in-built character creator.
- It is not as effective as other game software
- Its free plan does not allow you to publish to Android and iOS.
There you have it, some of the best video game software that is super easy and simple for beginner developers with little or no coding experience. You don’t have to become a pro developer to build video games. You can turn to one of the video game software talked about in this article to get started. Some of them offer are completely free while some offer free trials. Find one that suits you and get busy developing!