Businesses with access to big data are future-proof. Big data provides businesses with enough insights on how to use ideas to run operations. Access to big data places a company ahead of its competitors.
Big data is a basic feature of Geotab. It is a private company that specializes in the area of global positioning system (GPS). MyGeotab is the software interface of the company.
What Exactly Is Geotab?
Geotab develops, manufacturers, and deliveries GPS fleet management solutions. Corporations in the telematics industry need this GPS solution to improve their businesses. They rely on the big data that Geotab processes to grow their business. Geotab also allows these corporations to manage their fleet vehicles. In simple words, Geotab is a well-refined GPS adopted for tracking any type of vehicle. Geotab’s headquarter is in Oakville, Ontario, Canada.
What Kind Of Software Is MyGeotab?
MyGeotab is a software solution. It checks and maintains the general activities of fleet vehicles. It monitors the location, and health of fleet vehicles. This means MyGeotab collects data. It then analyzes the data using Geotab’s fleet management platform. This data is “big” because they source it from a fleet of vehicles. They process the performance of each fleet vehicle as a unit of a whole.
Fleet telematics is a multi-tenant platform. It uses data processed from fleet vehicles to improve vehicle maintenance. This data is also applied to other areas of operations. In fact, fleet managers depend on this data to improve the cost of running their fleet.
MyGeotab is one of the leading softwares in telematics. In application, this is an advanced technology that businesses should leverage. Business owners look for better ways to cut the cost of operation, so, large data is an advantage.
Factors To Consider Before Integrating MyGeotab
In a way, MyGeotab is a software solution for fleet trucks and heavy utility vehicles. The first companies to integrate the technology are companies that run truck fleet. Be that as it may, over time Geotab improved its software. They did this to solve vehicle tracking related issues. This means that in application, MyGeotab is limitless. It now applies to every business that runs fleet.
Are you considering integrating Geotab’s software into your business? Here are some factors to consider:
- What kind of fleet management solution fits your business structure? It is important to be sure that your business relates to fleet management. The management solution you want should be scalable. Fleet managers prefer a solution that will accommodate growth. The size of your business will influence the fleet management solution you choose. Nonetheless, Geotab fits into any structure.
- Will this fleet management solution improve efficiency? The cost of integrating any fleet management is an important factor for consideration. An effective fleet management solution should pay for itself in a space of time.
- Where is your base of operation? What areas do your services cover? These are some of the vital questions you need to ask before you choose a fleet management solution. Doing this will help you have a more efficient system.
- How well will this fleet management solution integrate with the existing structure? As a manager, you may prefer a solution that integrates into your existing structure. It is important for the fleet management solution to work with current structures.
- How can this fleet management solution improve my workforce? Workforce empowerment is one of the concerns of fleet managers. The fleet management solution you integrate should add value to your workforce. It should also reduce stress.
Seven Features Of Geotab
Neil Cawse established Geotab in 2000. The company did not have a corporate structure until 2009. The major challenge that fleet companies face is effective management. How do you manage your fleet to save money on operations? Geotab’s launch was a step in the right direction. It had distinctive features that tackled the problems. It also introduced better ways to manage fleet vehicles.
Here are seven important features of Geotab:
- Advanced GPS: Geotab has a user base of over 40,000 customers that use its tracking device. This device is about three inches. Drivers or managers can attach it to any vehicle. When attached to the vehicle, the device connects the vehicle to the internet. The GPS feature of the device, allows users to track the location and movement of the vehicle. When the device connects to the host vehicle, it integrates into the vehicle’s system. This smooth integration allows users to run complete diagnostics of the host vehicle. The user base of Geotab reflects the efficiency of the software.
- Multitenant Database: Geotab processes over 30 billion data. This volume is a result of having about 1.8 million GPS tracking devices in operation. These devices are estimated to cover a combination of 83 million miles per day. The largeness of Geotab’s database is one of its unique advantages. The ability of Geotab to handle such large data means it can handle much more effortless.
- Google Cloud Access: Geotab processes its data point using Google’s cloud service. Google BigQuery allows data points to process faster and in a more secure way. All data is sent from Geotab devices to Google for processing. Then, it’s sent back to Geotab fleet management platform for analysis. Geotab doesn’t have to build a powerful data processor thanks to Google BigQuery. So, in every sense, partnering with Google is a step in the right direction.
- TensorFlow: Aside from Google BigQuery, Geotab also leverages Google’s TensorFlow. TensorFlow is an open-source machine learning framework developed by Google. Geotab applies these machine learning models to its raw data. They do this to provide context-specific benchmarks for its customers. In a way, this means customers can now have reports tailored to their specific business. Goetab, using TensorFlow, classifies about 30 different vehicle driving patterns. These different patterns are what accounts for context-based reports. Imagine there’s a customer who runs an oil company. They’ll get different reports than a customer who runs an auto insurance company. This helps Geotab’s customers to carry out unbiased and effective operational assessments. To a large extent, Google BigQuery and TensorFlow is Geotab’s wildcard. The large data Geotab receives would be useless without a platform that can make sense of the data.
- Remote Control Functionality: MyGeotab does double here. It’s software is the user-interface of Geotab’s fleet management platform. MyGeotab can relate to business managers. It uses dialogue boxes and windows to relate vehicle information with managers. In fact, MyGeotab affords managers remote functionality. This is so they can influence the decision of a driver about to go rogue. They can also call the attention of another driver that gets carried away while on duty. Managers can build rules using MyGeotab as well. These rules function as alerts for drivers and managers. The moment a driver ignores a rule, an alarm triggers. For instance, say there is a rule assigned to switching on and off the driver’s light. Imagine the driver forgets to switch off his taillights and headlights. The alarm triggers and calls his attention to the vehicle. Likewise, if a driver speeds. Rules are easy to build, and you activate them with a single click. In fact, Geotab affords their customers with an IOX speaker unit that you attach to the vehicles. This allows drivers and managers to communicate. Moreover, MyGeotab allows users and managers to configure distinctive rules.
- System Diagnostics: Managers using MyGeotab can run a complete scan of fleet vehicles. They can even do this from anywhere. You can also check the:
- Fuel consumption of each vehicle
- Engine RPM
- Engine light
- Braking system
- Wiper activation
Nothing is hidden from the manager. The successful integration of Geotab in a fleet vehicle makes maintenance cheap. It also reduces stress and makes for a smooth process. In every sense, you no longer need to be a vehicle expert to run a fleet business. Since there is a contextual report of each vehicle, wastage is no longer a concern. You will know which vehicle needs what repairs. Also, the system diagnostics shows you the ageing process of your trucks. It will even make recommendations. Newer models are often more fuel-efficient, up to 15%.
- Electrical Diagnostics: It’s difficult to find out the electrical cycle of fleet vehicles. The electrical system of trucks is complex. Managers find this aspect of fleet maintenance challenging. Especially the battery. About 60% of maintenance issues from Geotab users are electrical. At the earlier stage of Geotab, machine learning showed voltage curves. These determine whether a battery is good or bad. But this method was not good enough. In effect, it could only predict battery failures 80% of the time. The oil temperature was then added to data to support the voltage curve analysis. This resulted in 98% predictability. The success of the electric diagnostics allows managers to automate the repair cycle. By extension, they save extra on the cost of fleet maintenance. Now, they don’t have to change batteries at random or in the space of three months. Instead, managers can rely on MyGeotab to tell them when to replace batteries.
Benefits Of Implementing Geotab As A Gig Employer
It might interest you to know that over 36% of US workers are gig-employees. Freelancers contributed over 1.28 trillion dollars to the US economy in 2018. About 42% of the younger population are freelancers.
A large number of the US workforce population is leaning towards:
- Independent contracting
So, there is a growing need for employers to equip themselves with the right tools. They need to do this to keep their gig-employees in-check. If the stats continue to grow at this pace, by 2027, half of the US workforce will be freelancers. It is advisable now to integrate management solutions into your business.
Safety, productivity and profit maximization remains the major concerns of gig employers.
Here are some of the benefits you will enjoy when you integrate Geotab into your business.
- Flexibility: What are important benefits of using Geotab in your fleet vehicles business? One major benefit is that it allows operations to run in a more effective and flexible way. Geotab’s remote control functionality, helps you access accurate diagnostics of your vehicles. You can also create a working schedule maintenance culture without hassle.
- Reduction in time spent on administration: This may not affect the finances of your company in a direct way. But, it defeats the purpose of the gig economy: saving time. What about the time you would spend sorting out fleet information? You can now invest it in other areas that need immediate attention. You can always rely on the accurate data that Geotab will provide you. Integrate Geotab into your gig-employment structure and save yourself that extra work hour.
- Reduction in cost of running: Fuel use is a major concern for fleet businesses. But, with Geotab, things become more clear and measurable. Geotab fleet management solution gives you accurate system diagnostics. This provides you with a full break down of vehicle activities. You no longer need to rely on mechanics for maintenance information. You also don’t need to rely on your drivers for fuel consumption information. This is because Geotab uses Google TensorFlow, you now have reliable data to work with. Processed data on fuel and maintenance reduces the cost of running your fleet to a large extent.
- Digitization of Operations: It is important for managers to automate running their fleet in a gig economy. A manual alternative will be stressful and counter-productive. Geotab offers fleet managers the capability to automate running their fleet. This will allow for:
- Proper monitoring of fleet
- Better communication between managers and workers
- An increase in output
Digitization of operations ensures safety in an organization that runs a fleet. MyGeotab is the software that gives managers with that option. As a manager, you use MyGeotab to set speed limits and drive hours for your drivers. This will reduce the possibility of road accidents. Plus, drivers become responsive and responsible when you ride along with them. Geotab devices allow you to communicate with drivers.
Fleet management software is the core of a productive fleet company. There are basic challenges that every company running a fleet faces. These challenges are what Geotab tries to solve. This includes problems relating to the cost of operation and the automation of fleet. Has Geotab been effective in this regard? Well, over 40,000 customers trust Geotab with the activities of their fleet. At the current momentum, Geotab’s customer base will continue to increase. The company is evolving.
The basic features of Geotab center on challenges common to the gig economy. With the attention of the world veered towards this niche, Geotab will be in the focus of a lot of industries. There are industries that leverage the data Geotab processes to improve their productivity. For instance, automotive companies use Geotab’s technology to improve their vehicles. These companies analyze Geotab’s data to resolve vehicle automation. By extension, they improve the driving mechanism of vehicles. Likewise smart city initiatives. Data processed from fleets driving through cities is useful in creating a safer city. This data allows for a proper examination of roads and traffic laws. Intersections that are prone to accidents can be reviewed. The traffic light system can then be improved. The vehicular movement will be better managed and organized.